This smooth and creamy Homemade Quinoa Baby Cereal recipe has an earthy and robust taste and is loaded with protein, fiber, iron and magnesium. It’s great served as a meal itself or mixed with baby’s favorite fruit or vegetable puree. Baby food for 4 months and up – stage 1 baby food.
Baby cereal doesn’t have to be plain and boring 🙅♀️!
No way! Not for our adventurous babies!
Not only do we want a delicious tasting baby cereal, but we also want it to be loaded with nutrients to help our growing babies. Are we asking too much? I don’t think so!
Enter – our trusted superfood grain – quinoa 👏!
REASONS TO LOVE THIS Quinoa Cereal
- great baby food for 4+ months
- super smooth and creamy
- great for digestion
- easy to make – less than 20 minutes
- organic – can easily use organic quinoa in this recipe
Health Benefits of Quinoa
Quinoa is so healthy that it literally has superpowers!
- Protein: quinoa is a great source of protein for baby. Protein helps support the growth and development of babies.
- Fiber: this ancient grain contains almost twice as much fiber as other grains, which makes it great for babies’ sensitive digestive organs and helps things get going ‘down there’ in a gentle way.
- Iron: has high levels of iron, which is especially important for babies around 6 months of age as their iron reserves start to diminish. Quinoa is a natural way to boost their reserves without using iron-fortified products.
- Magnesium: aids in bone and teeth growth.
- Lysine: contains a good amount of lysine, which helps with tissue growth and repair. A must-have for babies as they learn to crawl, walk and run.
Besides all of the amazing health benefits from quinoa, it is also a super easy baby cereal to make.
- Cook: make a batch of your favorite quinoa.
- Blend: transfer the cooked quinoa into a blender or food processor. Add in a little water or other liquid to get the grains completely smooth.
- Serve: serve to baby by itself or paired with another fruit or veggie puree.
- Freeze: you can store this puree in the fridge for up to 4 days or you can freeze the cereal to use on another day.
Type of Quinoa to Use: I made this recipe using the trio color blend of quinoa, which has 3 different types of quinoa in it. But any color of quinoa will work with this recipe and usually, the white quinoa is the easiest to find in almost all grocery stores.
GREAT Quinoa COMBINATIONs
While Quinoa Puree is great by itself, it’s also super easy to mix and match with other nutrient-dense baby food purees. Give these fun flavor combos a try!
While the most popular option is adding cinnamon to baby cereal, you can also add in a pinch of cloves, nutmeg, cardamom or pumpkin pie spice.
Tip on Spices: I always added spices to my baby food purees, but you can add or leave out spices in all of your baby food. You do you! Either way, this puree will taste amazing.
HOW TO STORE Quinoa Cereal
You can store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
This puree can be frozen for up to 4 months.
- Spoon cereal into a freezer storage container (this and this are my favorite freezer storage containers) – do not overfill.
- Place the lid on the storage container or cover with a piece of saran wrap and label with date and recipe name.
- Place the tray into the freezer and let freeze completely – preferably overnight.
- Pop-out the baby food cubes and place in a zip-lock baggie or stasher bag – don’t forget to re-label the baggie or stager bag for future reference.
MORE BABY FOOD
Favorite Kitchen Tools: Get a list of my favorite kitchen tools to make the best baby food here!
DID YOU MAKE THIS QUINOA BABY CEREAL?
I’D LOVE TO KNOW HOW IT TURNED OUT! LEAVE A COMMENT AND A ⭐️ RATING BELOW 👇
Homemade Quinoa Baby Cereal (4+ months)
This smooth and creamy Homemade Quinoa Baby Cereal has an earthy and robust taste and is loaded with protein, fiber, iron and magnesium. It’s great served as a meal itself or mixed with baby’s favorite fruit or vegetable puree.
Servings: 25 ounces
- 1 cup water, low sodium broth or bone broth
- 1/2 cup quinoa see notes
- extra liquid for blending
Yield: roughly 25 ounces
Note on Quinoa: I used a trio blend of quinoa for this recipe, but you can use any color quinoa that you would like.
Storage: Fridge – store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Adding Spices: you can add a pinch of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice or pumpkin pie spice while blending.
NEW TO MAKING PUREES?
THEN CHECK OF MY GUIDE ON WHICH KITCHEN TOOLS YOU ACTUALLY ARE GOING TO NEED TO MAKE THE CREAMIEST AND SMOOTHEST BABY PUREES. HINT, IT’S NOT MANY!